Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

New vs Used Clothing

So Derrick will never want for a piece of clothes again.......but the older three boys will keep me shopping. We have three boys born within 3 1/2 years of each other. And the youngest of them was born looking like a football player and hasn't changed since. Needless to say, some years they all wear the exact same size shoe, pant, or shirt.

This past year, Michael grew 9 inches and NOTHING fits!

Corbin and Kohner now pretty much wear the exact same size everything......and there is a 3-size gap between Kohner and Derrick. I now have 4 bins of clothes in the garage that Derrick will inherit.

-----------------------------

Michael needed new clothes because the uniform changed for the charter school he is attending. It is amazing what you can find. We have some friends in the ward who dropped off clothes their son had grown out of. Kid-to-Kid is a fantastic place to find clothes. And who knew how much great stuff the D.I. has!?! I've shopped there over the years, but usually for knick-knacky things or cheap toys for the kids. But I got an awesome pair of shoes for Corbin and Kohner for $5 and $6, and a tie for Michael for $2. You can't beat that!

It's incredible what we were able to accomplish for ~$75. I have many friends who are incredible at shopping at thrift stores and finding bargains. I have to confess that, for many years, I had a hard time walking into stores let alone wearing clothes from them. I am TOTALLY over it now and I have a lot of learning to do!

It's been fun showing the kids the difference between our receipts. They are amazed at what we can get.

2 comments:

  1. I remember going to DI with my friends during my BYU days and I always thought "there's no way I'll get anything from here" (except for Halloween). Fast forward several years and oh my! I love shopping there! I have my favorite DI's and other bargain stores (I posted about that on my blog). My mom is still embarrassed that I post about that (she's afraid someone might think I am cheap), but I call it smart shopping and as a second benefit I am helping the planet by re-using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how our perspective changes. I think that I felt the same way your mom feels. But now I'm in survival mode and am happy that I can get quality stuff for a fraction of the price. It totally makes sense now!

    (I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had to change my perspective.)

    ReplyDelete