Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mormon Mommy Blogs

So I've been feeling quite inadequate lately about how/what I share on Facebook and my blog. I don't write really well, I'm not witty with my content, I don't relate to popular shows or trends, I just write whatever is poignant to me at that moment. (Using the word poignant here is an ode to Mom, an English teacher.) As much as I don't want to care that others are reading, I secretly do want people to read my blog and comment on it. When that happens, I feel like I'm actually connecting to others, and that's kind of cool (fulfilling).

There was the article that came out about women who are not Mormons - far from it - but can't stop following Mormon Mommy Blogs: http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/01/15/feminist_obsessed_with_mormon_blogs. I thought "how interesting." So I thought that I should check out some of the blogs that were mentioned. To tell you the truth, I couldn't stand most of them. I love following some of my friends blogs, my cousin, and my sister-in-laws blogs. My favorite posts are witty ones that incorporate real life into fun posts. But the big thing is that I know these people and I care about their lives, so what they say really mean something to me.

Today, I came across this contest: http://www.mormonmomma.com/index.php/2011/nominations-best-lds-female-solo-blogger-2010/. So, I thought "how interesting." (see a pattern here) And I checked out the blogs that have been nominated. Wow .... I really don't like most of them. Some of them were really, really spiritual. Nothing wrong with that, just not my style. Several were very superficial - definitely not what I'm interested in. But there were two that stood out. Why? They are practical. They talk about things that I can relate to. They share stories or just write about them in a way that I could relate to.

So, guess what my conclusion was with all this hype? People like what they like. My style is very different from so many others. But there are a few of you out there that like it and can relate to it. Although, I do think that I will try to find some 'light' stuff to write about and maybe put up a picture or two. Shocking, I know. Don't hold your breath though ..... it will probably take a couple months before I actually do so. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog! I think you and I might have the same reaction to cutesy bloggers. Have you checked out Segullah? It's a Mormon women's literary magazine/blog that I LOVE. I'd be curious to see if it would make your "like" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Segullah is my favorite, too.

    The only person I have to please with my blog is me - so I write what I feel like writing, and if somebody else likes it - yay. If they don't, then I've still invested my time in something I find fulfilling.

    Your blog stands out because it's intelligent, thoughtful, sincere. It's very you. If you feel you would like to improve it to suit your own agenda, then by all means, put up some pictures. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

    ReplyDelete