Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Balance - the Key to Happiness?

I've been thinking a lot about how to find happiness in my own life lately. Not that I'm unhappy, but I do get caught up in the day to day and not smelling the roses, as the old saying goes.

I know that there is no perfect formula to creating happiness in your own life, but I do feel that balance is a huge part in it. I've been adjusting to my new responsibilities as PTO President at the my kids elementary/charter school, continuing to professionally develop myself in regards to real estate, being a mom that my kids want to be around, a wife that my husband desires (or at least wants to be around), and continuing to enjoy and fulfill my church responsibilities.

Balance allows me to know that I'll get to everything else, even while focusing on just one aspect. But I must find balance first. I believe that I cannot do it with the toolset I currently have. I need to grow and expand in order to be able to understand where my priorities should lie and how I can fulfill each one without neglecting another.

Right now, I listen to uplifting CDs that help me to understand my meaning in life or tell me how I can continue to become a better person. I also read books that help me to break through my own self-defeating thoughts. My work environment is also incredibly helpful in increasing my self-belief. Not to mention, I just started 1-on-1 coaching with someone who wants to see me succeed and therefore will help me focus on improving and become a better me - in all areas of my life.

What do you do?

5 comments:

  1. Prayer is a HUGE, huge part of the way I achieve balance. Anytime I start feeling anxious about something, I pause for just a moment, and it usually helps immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever heard the song "Which Part is Mine?" by Michael McLean? I kept thinking about that song as I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merrijane - I certainly can bring prayer in a lot more. I don't think you could ever have enough. :)

    Melissa - I think I've heard that before, but can't recall it - I'll find it again.

    Thanks for the reminders ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listen to a positive alternative radio station when I start feeling down. Once I am off from work, I leave work at the office (I set very clear boundaries about that). I de-stress by running, riding a bike or doing zumba before I get my daughter from school. I enjoy being at the lessons my little girl is taking and see her progress. I take time with friends, reading, and learning new things (such as sewing). About the church responsibilities, I had a talk with the president because at the time it was too much for me to handle. We made adjustments and now fulfilling my musical responsibility with the little ones is fun and not a dread. At times, just let go. If the kitchen does not get cleaned, who cares (well, I do care, but I get to it when I can). Prayer and doing the other 'little' things help a lot to keep the perspective. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tania - you have great ideas. No wonder you are always smiling. :)

    ReplyDelete