Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Cooking from Scratch

In Book Club a few months ago, we read a book titled 'In Defense of Food'. This book talks about the trends of the American diet and how we have 'engineered' ourselves into poor nutrition and consequently poor health. One of the things it said was "If you grandma wouldn't recognize it as a food, don't buy it." Goodbye Twinkies! (This book is a must read!)

After reading this book, and also studying the Body-for-Life program and diet, my husband and I have been changing our eating habits for the last year. But I didn't have time to cook like I could/should. Now that I'm home.....I suddenly have more time to plan, shop, and cook. And I discovered that I actually CAN cook! Who knew?!?

A couple things.....I have four boys who like to eat. So they eat a lot and they enjoy just about everything. And I don't love to cook. So, cooking a lot when it will be eaten in an hour and then cleaned up, isn't very fulfilling. But I discovered a book "Fabulous Freezer Meals" at Costco. The author was there handing out recipes and I didn't think twice about it. Until we were about to leave and I read the card. She mentioned that she hated the marathon cooking days to freeze dinners and so she decided on a different approach. She decided to cook 'more' for each meal and freeze the extra. I know it's a simple concept, but I had never put it into place. (She also has bulk recipes for quick grabbing sauces and meats to combine with her other recipes.)

This has been such fun for me. More than the fun of cooking for my family, I am filling up my freezer with homemade goodness and purchasing more core items for my food storage (because I actually know how to cook with them more). Knowing that I have healthy choices readily available for my family is more fulfilling to me than the actual act of cooking. Now it's a win-win situation for me.

And, guess what we've discovered? #1 - we are more full when we eat meals that are cooked from scratch, and #2 - our bodies do NOT like fast food anymore. Even the kids complain about stomach aches if we grab a taco or hamburger.

Definitely a 'keeper' concept for our family!

2 comments:

  1. I need to find that book at costco, sounds like I would enjoy it.
    Since I have been staying home I have found a love for cooking. I used to think exactly like you, and I still sometimes mourn for a meal that gets eaten in less than 10 minutes that sometimes has taken me over an hour to prepare.
    Chin up, like you said, the benefits are greater!

    Check out this blog: http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/

    This lady also uses a lot of stuff from costco and makes cooking easy, tasty and healthy.
    Most of her recipes are from the food network that she has modified to make them easier and practical.

    Loving the blog btw!

    -Luisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Luisa - I'm going to have to check that out. Every little thing helps and I'm babystepping my way through it.

    And thanks for reading the blog. It's been kind of fun to get everything out of my head and onto 'paper'. :)

    ~B

    ReplyDelete