Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Short on Funds

So, I spent several hundreds of dollars on real estate this past week so that I could be ready to list some houses (yay!). Needless to say, it cut into our savings and has left us a little short of where we want to be. So, the penny pinching is in full effect.

Cooking from scratch has already positively impacted our grocery budget. Also, cooking a little extra and storing for later has been wonderful. It has allowed me to be able to provide more for our family on less. I have also been picking up a little extra here and there to ramp up our food storage.

I planned the menu for this week - which I have found out that normally, I can spread the food across two weeks if I'm cooking a little extra each day. Not to mention what I already have in the freezer that we can pull from. Because of what we have in food storage and our cupboards, we only had to spend $85 (of our budgeted $350) to get what we needed. Now we will have to keep $40 or so dollars for milk, cereal and bread for the second week of the grocery plan.

BUT I overlooked one thing - we were having the whole family over for Michael's Priesthood ordination. Yeah, so I had to figure out what to cook. Well, it turned out that I had everything already in the cupboards for teriyaki chicken and rice. We were at such peace as we realized that we were already taken care of even though we hadn't planned, just because we were taking baby steps to fill our food storage, and I was willing to learn to cook and dedicate the time to it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish as we continue to plan our lives and follow that plan. God expects great things from us and is laying the groundwork for us to accomplish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment