Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Success in Business = Success in Life?

In a nutshell, I am successful in business. I was made for the job that I had - Systems Analyst/Program Manager for a software company. I LOVED it! I worked with internal customers to identify ways to improve the software for their daily uses and then worked with IT to implement it. This job was perfect for me - because I love to make things more efficient. And I was good at it - I would get recognition as I completed projects. Sounds great doesn't it? Well, the biggest drawback was the big projects. You know, the ones that give you the biggest recognition.

Yeah - at the expense of what....my family. When my kids wouldn't see me before they went to bed - not okay. When I was home, I would still need to get work done and so I would yell at them for bothering me. Not okay. Or sleeping all weekend long and so when I was home, I wasn't 'available.' NOT okay.

Why was I here anyway? To be a successful business woman? Well, for me it was kind of nice. But I also chose to bring five kids into this world and a successful business woman wasn't really fitting into the nurturing mom and loving wife mold. In fact, I was damaging those relationships faster than I could say I'm sorry and will you forgive me. It wasn't working.

So then what? I mean, I make more money than my husband, we still have bills to pay and things were just going to get more expensive as the kids get older, and my company doesn't want me to go. Oh, and it's a recession - where there are millions without a job. So I couldn't just quit! Or could I?

No comments:

Post a Comment